Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Eat right, huh

Numba One - Ideation
You are fascinated by ideas. What is an idea? An idea is a concept, the best explanation of the most events. You are delighted when you discover beneath the complex surface an elegantly simple concept to explain why things are the way they are. An idea is a connection. Yours is the kind of mind that is always looking for connections, and so you are intrigued when seemingly disparate phenomena can be linked by an obscure connection. An idea is a new perspective on familiar challenges. You revel in taking the world we all know and turning it around so we can view it from a strange but strangely enlightening angle. You love all these ideas because they are profound, because they are novel, because they are clarifying, because they are contrary, because they are bizarre. For all these reasons you derive a jolt of energy whenever a new idea occurs to you. Others may label you creative or original or conceptual or even smart. Perhaps you are all of these. Who can be sure? What you are sure of is that ideas are thrilling. And on most days this is enough.

I didn't really think that this strength applied to me until I did some reading and realized that it has to do with creativity and daydreaming. Most of the time, I forget that that aspect of who I am is even a strength. Maybe this test will help me to focus that attribute and use it more to my advantage.



Numba Two - Input
You are inquisitive. You collect things. You might collect information-words, facts, books, and quotations-or you might collect tangible objects such as butterflies, baseball cards, porcelain dolls, or sepia photographs. Whatever you collect, you collect it because it interests you. And yours is the kind of mind that finds so many things interesting. The world is exciting precisely because of its infinite variety and complexity. If you read a great deal, it is not necessarily to refine your theories but, rather, to add more information to your archives. If you like to travel, it is because each new location offers novel artifacts and facts. These can be acquired and then stored away. Why are they worth storing? At the time of storing it is often hard to say exactly when or why you might need them, but who knows when they might become useful? With all those possible uses in mind, you really don't feel comfortable throwing anything away. So you keep acquiring and compiling and filing stuff away. It's interesting. It keeps your mind fresh. And perhaps one day some of it will prove valuable.

I have definitely seen how this strength plays out in my life. I remember when I was in maybe 7th or 8th grade and I became insanely fascinated with Queen Elizabeth I to the point of reading a 600 page non-fiction work all about her life. When I become interested in a topic, I like to know as much as I can about it. This can also be translated into my social interactions; when I am interested in getting to know a person more, I become overwhelmingly curious about their life and the way they think.



Numba Three - Empathy
You can sense the emotions of those around you. You can feel what they are feeling as though their feelings are your own. Intuitively, you are able to see the world through their eyes and share their perspective. You do not necessarily agree with each person's perspective. You do not necessarily feel pity for each person's predicament-this would be sympathy, not Empathy. You do not necessarily condone the choices each person makes, but you do understand. This instinctive ability to understand is powerful. You hear the unvoiced questions. You anticipate the need. Where others grapple for words, you seem to find the right words and the right tone. You help people find the right phrases to express their feelings-to themselves as well as to others. You help them give voice to their emotional life. For all these reasons other people are drawn to you.

This was another strength that I was already well aware of (and semi-embarassed about). I've had a problem with being overly sensitive for as long as I can remember and I've always viewed it as more of a weakness than a positive attribute. I think that maybe I need to start looking at it as a God-given gift and realize that it's something that can help others.



Numba Four - Strategic
The Strategic theme enables you to sort through the clutter and find the best route. It is not a skill that can be taught. It is a distinct way of thinking, a special perspective on the world at large. This perspective allows you to see patterns where others simply see complexity. Mindful of these patterns, you play out alternative scenarios, always asking, "What if this happened? Okay, well what if this happened?" This recurring question helps you see around the next corner. There you can evaluate accurately the potential obstacles. Guided by where you see each path leading, you start to make selections. You discard the paths that lead nowhere. You discard the paths that lead straight into resistance. You discard the paths that lead into a fog of confusion. You cull and make selections until you arrive at the chosen path-your strategy. Armed with your strategy, you strike forward. This is your Strategic theme at work: "What if?" Select. Strike.

I think it's ironic that this is now my third strength that has to do with knowing more and thinking and "expanding my horizons". I am definitely one of those people who just thinks too much; "What if"s drive me crazy and generally take up wayyy too much of my time. And again, this is another attribute that I tend to view negatively.



Numba Five - Connectedness
Things happen for a reason. You are sure of it. You are sure of it because in your soul you know that we are all connected. Yes, we are individuals, responsible for our own judgments and in possession of our own free will, but nonetheless we are part of something larger. Some may call it the collective unconscious. Others may label it spirit or life force. But whatever your word of choice, you gain confidence from knowing that we are not isolated from one another or from the earth and the life on it. This feeling of Connectedness implies certain responsibilities. If we are all part of a larger picture, then we must not harm others because we will be harming ourselves. We must not exploit because we will be exploiting ourselves. Your awareness of these responsibilities creates your value system. You are considerate, caring, and accepting. Certain of the unity of humankind, you are a bridge builder for people of different cultures. Sensitive to the invisible hand, you can give others comfort that there is a purpose beyond our humdrum lives. The exact articles of your faith will depend on your upbringing and your culture, but your faith is strong. It sustains you and your close friends in the face of life's mysteries.

When I asked my alpha leader about this one, she told me it was the hippie strength. So ha, once again, proof that I am a hippie at heart. Parents, let me buy a hippie van and get a peace sign tattoo'd on my ankle. I'm just trying to go along with my strength!

But actually, two sentences made me feel certain that this strength is something I possess: When people and the world seem fractured, broken, and isolated, you can become discouraged. For this reason, some may perceive you as too naïve or fragile. This has happened to me countless times. When the darkness of the world around me is pushed too hard into my face, I freak out and have to "center" myself before I can deal.

13 comments:

Russ said...

Ideation: It's that look on your face from the "Crazy Ladies" play... you look like you are lost, but what you're really doing is thinking through all the information you have fed into your brain, and you're processing it... then you connect it all together.
You bring new life to old and stale ideas, and you look at things differently then I ever would. Very much you!

Russ said...

Empathy: Yes! Your eyes always give this away. When you see something, even if noone else is seeing it, I can tell you are thinking about it, moved by it or really bothered by it. I remember as a little girl you seeing people living in the dump in Quito. You couldn't process it or contain it... you wanted to help!
Your eyes move your heart to action. That's a good thing!

Rheanna Lea Cline said...

Input: I saw this in your everyday life whether you were collecting gum wrappers to put on the back of your Ap Lit notebook or collecting quotes to use at some random moment. "The world is exciting precisely because of its infinite variety and complexity." That quote describes why I liked to be your best friend; you were excited about the world because of all that you could do in it. This is completely a strength that you have and a strength that makes you Rheanna...nana! (Kay, her bestest friend ever! haha!)

samauger said...

Ideation:
"So then I was thinking we could go get some ice cream."
Rheanna sits staring at a plant in silence
"Rheanna?"
"Huh? Sorry, what'd you say?"

This happens a lot. It's not so much you just "spacing out" as it is ideation. And as much as I want to pass that word as made-up, it's real. And so is the myriad of thoughts flying through your head when you have these moments of silence.

Natalie Payne said...

I see you in most of these...but the ones i see you the most in is empathy and connectedness...or the last one...i have seen them portrayed while watching you interact with other people, but mostly i have seen them portrayed personally in my own life...you have an incredible strength and ability to look into my eyes and know that everything is not as it should be...you have a strength of getting it out of me...and allowing Jesus to use you to calm a little bit of the storm raging in my eyes and in my heart...you also are the kind of person that grieves, laughs...or whatever with me...you're there when all is right...and when everything is completely off...and everywhere in between...you have great strengths...allow God to use them..

Jamie said...

Oh my goodness, Rheanna! These strenghts so describe you! I know we haven't hung out as much as I would have like to, but I can see all these gifts(yes, gifts) as a part of who you are! I love the fact that you have 'strategic' me too! We are both alike, but I think its really neat to see how each person in our group has different strengths that are valuable. I love the fact that we are so alike and so different and just remember...seriously, don't ever be ashamed of who you are! Especially cuz I love who you are!

Erica Wilson said...

Even though I dont know you very well I can already tell that these are your strengths. You are such a sweetheart and I am really excited to watch as your strengths grow!

Stephen Potts said...

I don't really know what to say about these strengths, just that I love them. How awesome your mind must be to have so many things going on. It would probably be very interesting to record your thoughts for an entire day. I don't know if I can truly say that I haven't yet seen all these strengths in you, then again, I can't really read your mind and it's only been 4 weeks. The love the strength Empathy, really, I don't think it's a weakness at all. It will definitely pay off in the long run, and I'm sure God will use it to His advantage at one point in time. I think the strength I see the most is Input. In our ice tea walk (since we've only had one so far), you were definitely interested in what I had to say (or maybe I just talk too much), so maybe you were using that Input strength? Lastly, the "hippie strength" you have is amazing. You really are accepting and caring, and just by reading over the description of the strength, I can see that it is a very powerful one to have. It's a blessing to be in the same Alpha group as you. God bless!

Unknown said...

Rheanna~
So i havnt really seen ideation in you yet, but im almost positive that it fits you, i am also a little unsure about input, once again i havnt really seen it but im sure you have it! :) I definitly see empathy in you, you are amazingly able to bring me into the conversation right when i feel completly left out, and i truly love that about you. Once again, strategic most likely fits with you! :) Connetedness, now this one i have seen! you are definitly one to believe everything happens for a reason, which is an amazing quality in a person!

Jaclyn said...

Rheanna lover of my soul! I must say ideation is one of your greatest strengths and i think that it is by far one of you best qualities. I love that when i talk with you that you always see things from a different perspective and it always helps me to get to know you better! i love it it blesses me immensely. alpha love love my dear!

COLT said...

Rheanna your r fantastical. I love readin about your strenghts because theyre true! They all kinda have to relate with someone who is very internally oriented. Your very intuch with your mind and are a deep thinker, which is where your strategy, ideas,input and connectedness comes from. Also you have that internal instinct that allows for you to have empathy and feel what others might be going through or feeling themselves. You're a great mix of strenghts and I love that you utilize all of them.

whenalysparks said...

Hahahahaha you are so cuuuuuutte! I will tell you, you definitely do become overly curious when you meet new people ;) hehehehe jk. BUT! Why are you semi-embarrassed about empathy?! A passion for others is totally something to be proud of! And it shines through you in so many ways...and i LOVE it:)

Jonathan Garcia said...

Obviously I dont know if you are any of these strengths cause well i dont know you that well. I've only hung out a couple of times so i wouldnt be able to say. Ideation
sounds like you because I do see you very quite creative in your style of dress. well i guess that would be it.