Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I'm Not Lying

It wasn't fair, not to me, but least of all
to you. It became a game between three
players, one player who didn't even know
he was playing.

You may have had no chance of winning,
but here's my truth: I would have given
it up, all of it, just to have the assurance
that everything would be ok.

I would have saved you if I could have.




I'm Not Lying
Ellen Wittlinger

I am lying in a clapboard shack
the wind blows through. It has followed me
all the way from Boston to this sheltered
harbor where I am less protected than I've ever
been. Invisible as a fish in the ocean
I've tried to listen, to understand the
mystery of two people who could almost
touch, except they have in common trusting
no one. I'm not lying when I say I tried.

I'm not lying next to you
and I never will. There was a night
we needed more than affection
though neither would admit it.
To tell the truth it couldn't matter less
who wears the pants or the dress, but only
who becomes visible to whom.
You saw me truly, and I saw all you let me;
I'm not lying now, and I hope I never will.

No comments: