Monday, August 17, 2009

Proverbs


She calls to me from the streets,

begging me to turn away from

the simpleminded way of the world.

Her cries tug at my lonely life.

She is the wife of my youth, the

sweet lady of wisdom, and her

advice is what I don’t want to

listen to in this moment.




I’m faced with a decision, two paths

to choose from: one leading into

the growing of the light, the

other disappearing into the falling

darkness. She pulls at my arm,

whispering down the back of my

neck the words to convince me to

choose her way, the way of gleaming dawn.



But the immoral woman is smoother

than oil and it is she who

succeeds in pulling me to her

side; we stumble blindly along

the crooked trail, over

stones and bones, unaware

victims of the deadly decisions

we do not know we are making.

No comments: