Sunday, October 4, 2009

What I'm Looking For


From March 2009:

I don’t want to come out of college with an engagement ring plastered on my finger. I want to fall in love on my own time and have my pick of the world when it comes to finding my future spouse. I don’t want to limit myself to the boys I go to school with because, as nice as they are, they’re still just boys. I want to literally search the earth for a person who, metaphorically speaking, completes me.

And this is the kind of man I want:

  • A man who is sensitive, but not to the point of being more sensitive than me.
  • A tall man with broad shoulders.
  • A man with a sense of humor.
  • A creative man.
  • A man who knows how to write and use proper grammar/spelling.
  • A romantic man (but not too sappy).
  • A man who can sing.
  • A man with energy and passion.
  • A man who loves Jesus in a way that isn’t your cliché American Christian way.
  • A man with big hands.
  • A man who can play at least one instrument.
  • A man who has spent a significant amount of time in a country other than the U.S.
  • A man who goes against the grain.
  • A tough man.
  • A man who is older than me, if not physically, then in emotional and maturity years.

I’m not bemoaning my lack of a man at the present. On the contrary, I’m perfectly fine flirting and exchanging coy looks and text messaging five boys at the same time. This is fun and this is what college is all about.

I am bemoaning my lack of life, though, and I’m quickly coming to the understanding that I will not and cannot find that kind of thrilling, transitory, and inspiring life that I desire on your typical American college campus. So I’ll wait and long for a way to seek out this kind of life, rather than a boy who will become my “happily ever after.”


No comments: